In the eastern border of European Union lies Latgallia. It is the only catholic area in otherwise protestant Latvia. Before the holocaust it was also home for the Jiddish speaking Jews. In this calm and beautifully shot film the past is present as memories, and the future is soon to disappear.
Text: Katri Tenhola
Director Viesturs Kairišs will be present at the screening.
Languages: Latvian, Russian
The movie is shown during “Koe Latvia” days that are organized in Finland for the first time. The objectives of this initiative are to introduce the novelties in Latvian movie scene, as well as in other culture domains – design, literature, music, cuisine alongside with the presentation on the economy of the country.
The project is carried out by Investment and Development Agency of Latvia in cooperation with the Embassy of Latvia in Finland and Latvian Tourism Development Agency.
- Name in Original Language: Pelikans tuksnesi
- Director: Viesturs Kairišs
- Country: Latvia
- Year: 2014
- Length: 68 min
- Age limit: S
- Format: DCP
- Cinematography: Gints Berzins
- Editing: Andra Lejniece-Dorsh
- Audio: Aleksandrs Vaicahovskis
- Production: Roberts Vinovskis / Locomotive Productions
- Kinopalatsi 8: Wednesday 28.1. at 18:30